Pages

5.26.2012

Eating Solids

Because of Thomas's eczema and slow weight gain, we delayed the start of solids until he was 6 months old.  We wanted him to have as much time as possible to get lots of calories from his formula and we wanted to have his digestive system stronger in case of allergies and what not to the new food.  


So, on the night before his 6-month birthday, we started "solid" foods.  I say "solid" because, seriously, just because he ate it with a spoon doesn't mean it was actually very solid.  We started with VERY soupy brown rice cereal.  Because we had delayed the start, I believe he was REALLY ready for the spoon food.  He had been watching us eat the last few weeks and acting like he wanted to do the same thing.  So, he took to his new spoon feedings very well and very quickly!  Here are some pictures to show the first feeding... (Some of the pictures were taken with my iPod, so they are not as good... but still cute!) 


You can tell by the face, he wasn't really sure what to make of this new stuff...


Trying to feed himself...
I call this one, "I came, I ate, I conquered!"

After many days of the brown rice cereal, we started adding oatmeal cereal to his diet.  This has been a little easier on his belly, and he seems to still really enjoy it.  We are making it a little less soupy each time, so he gets used to different consistency of food.  


Earlier in the week, I attempted to give him some sweet potatoes.  I figured they were easy to cook and mash myself and kids seemed to like them, right??? WRONG!  He absolutely hated them!  I mean HATED them!  We were at a friend's house, so I don't have any pictures, but he wouldn't swallow, he was crying and gagging... it was HORRIBLE.  So, in place of sweet potatoes, we gave him pears.  Those went over A LOT better.  


I hated to start with a fruit because I really did want to start with something a little less sweet, but he has had a lot of digestion issues, so we figured the pears would help him out in that department!  He has enjoyed them and we are looking forward to a summer of many new fruits and vegetables!


Right now I am making food for him by simply food processing the pears with a little water and then warming them slightly.  I am hoping to do this throughout the summer since it is less expensive. 


Currently he is getting a breakfast of oatmeal and pears before his first bottle and a dinner of oatmeal and pears before his last bottle.  After he eats his breakfast and dinner, we keep him in his high chair while we eat ours.  He has enjoyed sitting and watching us, talking to us and playing (or eating, as the case may be) his toys.  It has been fun to be able to enjoy meals as a family again now that baseball season is finished up! 



Eating Winnie the Pooh while we eat breakfast! 
After he eats, we sometimes let him explore his bowl and spoon... well, yesterday he picked up his bowl and dropped it right on his head!  Good thing it was empty! :)




1 comment:

  1. I didn't see an email to reply to or on your blog but I wanted to respond to you!
    Haha! I held back on my cat dislike - I didnt want to totally offend any cat lovers that may stumble upon my blog and then send me hate mail. But I really don't like cats and cannot understand why anyone would want one let alone take and post multiple pictures of them. But then again I am sure people don't understand my pug love or obsession with my daughter. To each his own, I guess. I'm in a mood today, I really try not be negative when I write but I got on a roll...

    If you do sign up for instagram, my username is megmgib. 

    Thanks for stopping by & taking time to leave a comment!

    ReplyDelete