Pages

8.08.2011

26 Week Update at Myrtle Beach

On Friday I officially reached the 26-week mark!  Each week brings, at the same time, the relief of knowing Baby Boy Narcross is that much more developed and prepared for entering the world and an increased stress of knowing he's going to be arriving soon, and that time is going to fly! 

I've finally decided it's time for Todd and myself to get at least a little clue regarding the birth and early weeks of newborn raising, so I've been reading some books and the internet more than ever.  It's all just so darn conflicting though!  The concepts of "on-demand" feeding versus scheduled feeding leaves me feeling like I have NO IDEA what to do... I mean, it seems "on demand" is better, but isn't my baby going to kinda need a schedule once I go back to work?

And don't even get me started on all the "tips" for going back to work!  "Ask your boss if you can just come back half day," "Ask your boss if you can leave to feed your baby at daycare," "Ask your boss for a flexible work schedule so you can come in later or leave earlier,"... hmm... not really going to happen when you're a teacher!  That being said, I know I do have a good schedule but I'm already starting to stress about managing a baby, a classroom, a house, a husband, a dog... AHHHH!  And Baby Boy Narcross isn't even scheduled to arrive for another 3 months, plus an extra 6-10 weeks of maternity leave.  Our new family lines are, "Todd, it's not going to be nearly as easy or wonderful as you seem to think it is!"  and "Erica, it's not going to be nearly as hard or horrible as you seem to think it is!"  So we just agree to disagree! :)  Or really, we agree that it will probably be wonderful, horrible, very hard but not always, all rolled into one!

Enough ranting about all my stress... here are some pictures from Myrtle Beach last week.  Todd and I were blessed to get to go and spend a week in MB with my family.  Though it was stressful at times (having four kids under the age of four running around) and very HOT, we had a very nice and relaxing time!  Because of the heat, we didn't spend nearly as much time outside as we have in the past, but we still had a good time.  We spent many mornings at the pool with the kids, read, enjoyed some late afternoon/evenings on the beach, and had great meals.  Plus we had a special evening out and feasted on crab legs!

I REALLY love this picture!
The classic "prom pose."  And I think Todd's hands are trying to make a heart, but mine are covering it!

This was originally a full length shot, but let's be honest, even though I say that this is the only time in my life when I don't need to feel self conscious, do I really have the guts to put up a full length picture of me in a swim suit?? Guess not!


The whole gang:  My parents and my two sisters and families.



 

4 comments:

  1. erica you are adorable! looks like you and your fam had a great time :) sorry to hear about the stress with planning for the babe, i think no matter who you speak to about those topics, everyone will have an opinion and think their way is the right way..good luck through it all and when the baby gets here, you do what you want and feel is best for your baby :) you will be a great mommy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that first picture of you two as well. That needs to be framed and put in your house! :) Also, I know I'm obviously not in the best position to be giving parenting advice but since we've been "preparing" for years here is what I've figured out along the way: Trust yourself. You know more about being a mother than you think. In the end it's not going to matter if your child was on a scheduled feeding or not because he will still learn to eat. Just trust that you know more than you think you do and that you will do fine raising your child. Both you and Todd are excellent, caring, kind, and responsible people and your child will learn from your example. You'll both figure it out one step at a time and you'll be fine. And you have some great (free!) babysitters right next door who would be happy to watch baby boy Narcross when you need a night on the town. :)

    You'll be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture of you in the bathing suit is way cute... way cuter than any I could pull off! We fed on demand during the first few weeks, which then eased its way into a schedule. First child was WAAAY easier than second in terms of getting a schedule, probably because he used bottles more. Yes, having a baby is super hard, but you'll get through it. I was near tears multiple times before Atticus was born, just dreading it because I knew what to expect that time, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and we got through it. (I really mean that, even though I never slept more than 2 hours at a time for 2 months straight!) Hey, I managed to actually enjoy the beach although he never slept past 5:30... Try not to stress too much, and also really try to live in the moment now and savor the time you have just the 2 of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look great! don't let stress and anxiety consume you, because it can! my midwife told me something at the very beginning of my pregnancy. she said "you have 9 months to experience a miracle. are you going to stress over the experience or enjoy it? the choice is yours." i am a worry wort and, trust me, had plenty of anxiety throughout my pregnancy but i didn't let it consume me. this is a precious time and it will be over all too quickly! enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete